Thursday, March 22, 2012

Salif Keita

Salif Keita - Seydou from DEEN INC on Vimeo.



Since we are learning about masks from all over the world, I thought it would be interesting to include some contemporary African music. I was introduced to Salif Keita by a friend in college. I have been listening to, and loving, his music ever since! He is a singer and songwriter from Mali. He has albinism (lack of skin pigment) which in his culture meant that he had "bad luck". Under the caste system in the Mali Empire, he should never have become a musician. However, his talent and dedication has made him well-known world wide!

Here is an excerpt describing his latest album and the meaning behind his music:
Keita's latest album, La Différence, was produced around the end of 2009. The work is dedicated to the struggle of the world albino community (victims of human sacrifice), for which Keita has been crusading all his life. In one of the album's tracks, the singer calls others to understand that "difference" does not mean "bad" and to show love and compassion towards albinos like everyone else: "I am black/ my skin is white / so I am white and my blood is black [albino] /... I love that because it is a difference that's beautiful..", "some of us are beautiful some are not / some are black some are white / all that difference was on purpose.. for us to complete each other / let everyone get his love and dignity/the world will be beautiful."

Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment